Introducing Girls to STEM
ms infinity (math and science = infinite options) programs introduce girls to a wide range of exciting career options and positive female role models in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Together, we bust the myths about scientists, engineers and their careers in STEM … you don’t need to wear a lab coat to be a scientist! And you don’t need to wear a hard hat to be an engineer (unless you are on a job site!).
Our SCWIST team works with the community to offer:
- Quantum Leap Conferences to inspire students to consider STEM careers – including the exciting, uncommon careers
- Fun interactive workshops with science stories, technology demos and hands-on STEM activities
- Supportive e-mentoring program to guide girls on how to pursue their STEM interests
- Scholarships to inspire students to pursue STEM education and careers
- Extensive volunteer opportunities for women in STEM careers and girls interested in STEM
Please note that we use the terms women and girls with a broad meaning that includes people who identify themselves as women, girls, trans, gender queer, non-binary, two spirit, and gender questioning.
- Applications are now closed for our online eMentoring program. Please check back again soon for updates.
- Applications are open for our Youth Skills Development Scholarship
- Apply to host your own “Quantum Leaps” STEM conference and get $500 of seed money and support!
- Ask us for an activity workshop kit to hold your own STEM-themed workshop!
Teachers and STEM Educators: We want to support you! We offer a variety of programs to support teaching STEM in your classroom. If you are an educator and want to find out more about our programs, please explore the programs that we offer.
Quantum Leaps Conferences
Grades 10 – 12
Quantum Leaps Conferences demonstrate first-hand how fascinating careers in STEM can be! Conferences are organized and run by students who focus on issues that matter most to young women. Expect fun, hands-on workshops and motivating keynote speeches from women working in STEM careers.
Hands-On STEM Workshops
Grades 1 – 12
Forget equations written on a whiteboard; would you like to see how real hands-on science is done? You can learn more about STEM by getting involved with fun activities like creating controlled explosions, building bridges, and solving murder mysteries.
Grades 10 – 12
Want to explore STEM careers and find out what engineers and scientists do every day? Need some school or career advice that’s tailored to you? Sign up to our eMentoring program and we’ll put you in touch with a professional woman in a STEM career who is closely matched to your own interests.
Northern BC Youth Engagement Program
We want to reach you, wherever you are! With the help of some fantastic funding agencies, we are reaching more girls in rural communities and northern areas of British Columbia. We want to learn more about how we can help inspire and support young women and girls in these communities who have an interest in STEM. If you would like to work with us, please contact Lynn Westcott, our Northern BC Program Coordinator.
Are you a woman working or studying in the fields of science, technology, engineering or math (STEM)? Would you like to volunteer to engage and inspire today’s youth about these amazing STEM fields? Sign up to volunteer for ms infinity here. Please note that we encourage all our volunteers to become SCWIST members, which connects you to our events, network, professional develop opportunities, and helps support all of our SCWIST programs. Sign up now!
These Youth Engagement programs would not be possible without the generous support of our SCWIST members, volunteers, donors and funding agencies.