SCWIST recognizes the challenges that can come with being a newcomer to Canada and to build a career in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math). Our Immigrating Women in STEM (IWIS) program has a mission to develop a supportive community where women can share their experiences, seek advice, and broaden their networks. Our events and workshops are designed to help internationally trained women in STEM to start and build their careers in Canada.
What can IWIS Offer You?
Our IWIS networking events are a safe and low-pressure environment for immigrant women in STEM to learn from other successful immigrant STEM professionals as well as individuals who support the immigrant community. Speakers include immigrant women from diverse STEM backgrounds who share their experiences and offer advice to overcome obstacles they face as female newcomers in STEM fields.
Skill Development Workshops
Our IWIS workshops provide tools for immigrant women to find success in Canada’s STEM industries. These sessions include a focus on specific challenges faced by many newcomers, develop actionable skills to address these challenges, and provide a casual, safe environment to practice and develop these skills before applying them in the workplace. Past workshops include:
- Investing Do’s and Don’ts
- Career Transitions into Tech (with YWCA)
- Finding Your Voice (with ISSofBC)
SCWIST Job Fair & Job-Seeking Tools
In 2019, SCWIST hosted its first annual SCWIST Women in STEM Job Fair! The event included over 10 exhibitors from high-profile technology companies, up-and-coming local startups, and organizations that support women in STEM. The event attracted over 200 attendees, many of whom were female newcomers to Canada. In addition to exhibitors, the job fair included:
- Professional headshot photographer
- Resume review
- Interview practice through role play
You’ll get access to an excellent selection of resources tailored towards immigrating professional women. These include:
- A monthly SCWIST newsletter to stay connected with the hottest events, stories and career information
- Mentorship through our free Make Possible platform
- IWIS – information and resource package – It contains links to sites about career planning, high-level ESL (English as a second language) courses and networking
Benefits of Joining IWIS
- Become part of the Vancouver Immigrant Women in STEM community
- Connect with a large group of immigrant and non-immigrant women through SCWIST events
- Gain valuable information faster through IWIS resources
- Develop job search and career skills by attending IWIS events
- Volunteer for IWIS to develop your skills through the custom volunteering program and gain very important Canadian experience
Participate in IWIS
IWIS events are available to the general public and if you become a SCWIST member, you will also enjoy membership discounts and access to volunteering opportunities to help develop your leadership skills. As a SCWIST member, you will become part of a community of diverse and dynamic women passionate about science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). It’s easy to sign up! Find out more about SCWIST membership and its benefits at the SCWIST Membership page.