About the Program
The STEM Streams pilot program is a FREE and accessible opportunity for women* interested in pursuing/advancing careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics).
*STEM Streams welcomes women – cisgender & transgender – as well as genderqueer people who are comfortable in spaces that focus on & are driven by the experiences of women.
Who is it for?
This program is for you if you:
- Identify as a woman or gender-diverse person who is comfortable in spaces that focus on & are driven by the experiences of women
- Are from one of these underserved groups:
- living with disabilities
- having prolonged detachment from the labour force
- Have an interest in advancing a STEM career
- Are 18 years or older
- Are a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident.
What We Offer
8 virtual full-day courses
Pre-employment & career skills training)tailored for women in STEM
- Market your skills (resumés & cover letters)
- Elevate your online presence: (networking & social media)
- Elevator pitch & interview skills
- Authentic networking skills
- Climbing the career ladder
- Career planning & transitioning (relationship-building skills, how to find mentors, self awareness & finding your purpose)
- Digital skills (ie. Web3 Blockchain technology)
- Navigating workplace culture (self-advocacy, knowing your workplace rights & responsibilities)
1-on-1 career supports
To obtain mentorship, internship, and employment opportunities
Free 1 year SCWIST membership
- SCWIST events (ie. Networking, workshops, speakers, career fairs)
- Peer community of women in STEM
- Leadership opportunities (ie. participation in committees)
“Make Possible” SCWIST program
Personalized support services
- Compensation/subsidies for:
- time taken off work
- child/dependant care
- transportation to access the program
- A tech accessibility fund for tablets, Internet, adaptive tech, etc.
- Personal support worker
- Emergency financial support (ie. for accommodation, food)
- French translation
Expected Time Commitment
Workshops are offered weekly, so if you take one every week, it would take you approximately 2 months to complete the courses. However, you are able to take up to August 2023 to complete them, and you do not need to take courses consecutively.
Each course topic is offered twice a week with breaks and lunch:
- Wednesdays from 6am-12pm PST/8am-2pm CST/9am-3pm EST
- Thursdays from 9am-3pm PST/11am-5pm CST/12-5pm EST
They are identical, but offered on different days of the week for accessibility.
How do I sign up?
Please fill out an Expression of Interest Form if you are interested in registering. We accept participants on a rolling basis. If you have any questions or need support filling out the form, please email: [email protected]
The program will be delivered in hybrid format. All workshops will be delivered virtually and if preferred, participants will have opportunities to gather in-person to attend the workshops as a group (in certain major cities only). Some wrap-around services and supports will be delivered fully online, others fully in-person.
We offer many wrap-around services to help you access our program and achieve your career goals, including paid childcare, transportation, and a paid day off work. Please let us know in the Expression of Interest Form if you require any support.
The STEM Streams pilot project is funded by the Government of Canada.