FREE Pre-Employment & Career Skills Training
Are you interested in (re)entering a career in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and don’t know where to start? You’re in the right place.
The STEM Streams pilot program is a FREE and accessible opportunity for women* interested in pursuing/advancing careers in STEM. The program provides online courses, coaching, mentorship, and much more to help you find your place in STEM!
- Courses on Career Planning, Digital Skills, Resume Building, Interviewing, Networking, Curating your Online Presence, Navigating Workplace Culture and Climbing the Career Ladder
- Accessibility support, including childcare & wage replacement
- Employment support
- $400 completion bonus (must complete all 8 courses by Aug 24, 2023)
There’s no better time to (re)start your career in STEM!
*STEM Streams welcomes women – cisgender & transgender – as well as genderqueer people who are comfortable in spaces that focus on & are driven by the experiences of women.
Not sure if this program is right for you? Keep reading. Prefer to connect with us? We’re happy to answer questions and provide more information. Please email us email@example.com
Who is it for?
This program is for you if you:
- Identify as a woman or gender-diverse person who is comfortable in spaces that focus on & are driven by the experiences of women
- Are from one of these underserved groups:
- living with disabilities
- having prolonged detachment from the labour force
- Have an interest in advancing a STEM career
- Are 18 years or older
- Are a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident.
What We Offer
Each participant will receive a $400 Completion Bonus after finishing the 8 virtual courses and accompanying surveys.
8 virtual courses
Pre-employment & career skills training tailored for women in STEM.
- Market Your Skills: Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Elevate Your Online Presence
- Interview Skills 101
- Authentic Networking Skills
- Climbing the Career Ladder
- Career Planning and Transitioning
- Digital Skills and Understanding
- Navigating Workplace Culture
Personalized support services
We can offer the following support on an as-needed basis.
- Childcare/dependent support
- Electronic device
- Internet access
- Compensation for time off work
- Adaptive technology
- Adaptive technology set-up
- Translation services
- Personal Support Worker assistance
- Emergency assistance
1-on-1 career supports
To obtain mentorship, internship, and employment opportunities.
“MakePossible” SCWIST program
SCWIST membership (1 year)
- SCWIST events (ie. networking, workshops, speakers, career fairs)
- Peer community of women in STEM
- Leadership opportunities (ie. participation in committees)
Expected Time Commitment
Courses are offered twice weekly. Each course is approximately 3 hours. If you take one course every week, it will take you approximately 2 months to complete all 8 courses.
Courses can be taken in any order. All courses must be completed by August 24, 2023, to qualify for the $400 completion bonus.
Each course consists of the following:
- 3 hours of instruction
- 4 open office hours where participants can book a 25-minute meeting with the facilitator on a first-come, first-serve basis. An appointment link will be shared during the course.
- A workbook will be offered either in or before the course. If offered before the course start date, participants are strongly encouraged to review materials before the course in order to get the most out of the program.
Courses run on the following days and times:
- Wednesdays: 9am-12pm EDT, 8am-11am CDT, 6am-9am PDT
- Thursdays: 12pm-3pm EDT, 11am-2pm CDT, 9am-12pm PDT
|Interviewing Skills 101||Wednesday, July 19|
Thursday, July 20
|Authentic Networking Skills||Thursday, May 25|
Wednesday, July 12
Thursday, July 13
|Career Planning and Transitioning||Wednesday, May 31|
Thursday, June 1
Wednesday, July 26
Thursday, July 27
Wednesday, August 16
Thursday, August 17
|Digital Skills and Understanding||Wednesday, June 7|
Thursday, June 8
Wednesday, August 2
Thursday, August 3
|Navigating Workplace Culture||Wednesday, June 14|
Thursday, June 15
|Elevate Your Social Media Presence||Wednesday, June 21|
Thursday, June 22
Wednesday, August 9
Thursday, August 10
|Climbing the Career Ladder||Wednesday, July 5|
Thursday, July 6
|Market Your Skills:|
Resume and Cover Letter Writing
|Wednesday, August 23|
Thursday, August 24
How do I sign up?
Please fill out an Expression of Interest Form if you are interested in registering. We accept participants on a rolling basis. If you have any questions or need support filling out the form, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"”[Marketing Your Skills: Resume and Cover Letter] has been one of the best courses yet. I took away so many tangible tips and I feel as if this course could be applied to any discipline.”"
"”Natasha brought authenticity and heart to networking, which I have associated with being just strategic and opportunistic. I loved the handy workbook, the pace of the workshop, and the opportunity to connect with her beyond the event. Thank you!”"
"”Thank you again for another amazing workshop! it’s a positive and empowering experience. Great to be able to be around amazing people and speak freely with those who understand our struggles.”"
"”Getting to have personal feedback on my make-shift resume and to see others get feedback as well was extremely helpful. This wouldn’t have been possible in a larger group so I was grateful for the smaller format.”"
"”Janey delivered an amazing workshop, very instructive and participative. I loved her energy and confidence, and I would love to learn more from her. Outstanding!”"
The program will be delivered in hybrid format. All workshops will be delivered virtually and if preferred, participants will have opportunities to gather in-person to attend the workshops as a group (in certain major cities only). Some wrap-around services and supports will be delivered fully online, others fully in-person.
We offer many wrap-around services to help you access our program and achieve your career goals, including paid childcare, transportation, and a paid day off work. Please let us know in the Expression of Interest Form if you require any support.
The STEM Streams pilot project is funded by the Government of Canada.