SCWIST is a society created and driven by volunteers. Our volunteers play an integral part to deliver SCWIST programs to achieve our mission and vision. We are very grateful for their time, talents, passion and commitment. In return, we provide our volunteers with opportunities to develop skills, expand networking connections and create experiences that will stay with them forever.
One philosophy is at the heart of our volunteering – we match each volunteer with the role that’s best for her (or him). So, let us know: what skills can you bring to SCWIST and what experience would you like to gain?
The opportunity to volunteer on one of our SCWIST committees is a key benefit offered to our valued SCWIST members, along with many other resources that SCWIST membership provides. So become a SCWIST member now and help us achieve our goals!
Who Can Become a Committee Volunteer with SCWIST?
- You are a SCWIST member in good standing
- You are 19+
- Your resume meets the minimum requirements by SCWIST for the committee of your interest
- You pass an interview with the Director of the desired committee
Do I Have to be a Member to Volunteer with SCWIST?
We require all committee members to become members of SCWIST and sign a confidentiality agreement. You’ll become an integral part of our operations, helping with anything from organizing events, performing due diligence on potential partners, writing grants, and creating new programming.
Are There Volunteering Opportunities Available Which Don’t Require Membership?
Yes! We are always on the look-out for new eMentors for our ms infinity program, speakers for events, people to help our events run smoothly, promoters, communications experts and volunteers looking for a shorter commitment to the organization.
What Volunteer Committees Can I Join?
Our committee members are our most dedicated volunteers who have the ambition to make an impactful long-term contribution to SCWIST. These volunteers have a true passion for promoting women in STEM and can commit to a consistent volunteering role for at least 1 year. Some committees that form the backbone of SCWIST include:
- Events – Coordinating event logistics, finding appropriate venues, organizing catering and hospitality
- Communications – Advertising upcoming events, past events and successes, awards, future goals, collaborations
- Leadership & IWIS – Promoting professional development, planning and operating exhibitor booths at IWIS events
- Volunteers – Managing the volunteer portfolio, seeking and recruiting new volunteers, monitoring volunteer activity
- Youth Engagement – Coordinating and delivering workshops and events for girls interested in STEM fields
- Grants – Writing grant applications to sustain funding of programs for women in STEM
- Strategic Development – Supporting growth through seeking sponsorships and collaborations with industry
Steps to Become a SCWIST Volunteer
- Complete and submit the online application form. Please indicate any specific interests that you may have (not all possibilities are listed so feel free to describe in detail if your interest is not yet included!)
- Our Director of Leadership will send you information about available roles and ask you to provide a cover letter, LinkedIn profile and copy of your resume.
- After ensuring your skills and experience are aligned with the volunteer requirements, your application will be reviewed by the Director of your desired committee and you may be asked for an interview.
- When successful, your SCWIST membership status will be confirmed and you will be asked to sign our volunteer pledge to officially join us as a SCWIST volunteer.