SCWIST is a society created and driven by volunteers. Our volunteers play an integral part to deliver SCWIST programs to achieve our mission and vision. We are very grateful for their time, talents, passion and commitment. In return, we provide our volunteers with opportunities to develop skills, expand networking connections and create experiences that will stay with them forever.
One philosophy is at the heart of our volunteering – we match each volunteer with the role that’s best for her (or him). So, let us know: what skills can you bring to SCWIST and what experience would you like to gain?
The opportunity to volunteer on one of our SCWIST committees is a key benefit offered to our valued SCWIST members, along with many other resources that SCWIST membership provides. So become a SCWIST member now and help us achieve our goals!
Our SCWIST Volunteers
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Are you passionate about SCWIST and looking for a way to get more involved? We're on the lookout for some stellar volunteers to support the team.
Click below to learn more about each role and click. We hope you'll apply!
Applications will be reviewed as received. Positions that have been filled will be removed from the list below.
- STEM Workshop Presenter for Science Literacy Week
- Outreach Coordinator- Business Development Team
- Data Security Analyst
- Corporate Outreach and Sponsor Recruitment
- Event Coordinator
- Marketing and Operations Specialist
Don't see a volunteer position that fits your interests or want to support in a different way (e.g., Ad-hoc Event Assistance, Speaking Opportunities, e-Mentorship, or other)? Apply to be a General Volunteer and let us know what your specific interests are!
Steps to Become a SCWIST Volunteer
- Complete and submit the online application form. Please indicate the title of the volunteer position you are applying for. Not all possibilities are listed so feel free to describe in detail if your interest is not yet included!
- After ensuring your skills and experience are aligned with the volunteer requirements, your application will be reviewed by the Director that manages the role or committee you are applying for. You may be asked for an interview.
- When successful, your SCWIST membership status will be confirmed and you will be asked to sign our Volunteer Pledge to officially join us as a SCWIST volunteer.
Who Can Become a Committee Volunteer with SCWIST?
- You are 19+
- Your resume meets the minimum requirements by SCWIST for the committee of your interest
- You pass an interview with the Director of the desired committee
- You are a SCWIST member in good standing
Do I Have to be a Member to Volunteer with SCWIST?
We strongly recommend all committee members to become members of SCWIST and to sign our Volunteer Pledge. By being both a SCWIST Member and Committee Volunteer, you'll become an integral part of our operations, helping with anything from organizing events, performing due diligence on potential partners, writing grants, and creating new programming.
Are There Volunteering Opportunities Available Which Don't Require Membership?
Yes! We are always on the look-out for new eMentors for our ms infinity program, speakers for events, people to help our events run smoothly, promoters, ambassadors, and volunteers looking for a shorter commitment to the organization.
What Volunteer Committees Can I Join?
Our committee members are our most dedicated volunteers who have the ambition to make an impactful long-term contribution to SCWIST. These volunteers have a true passion for promoting women in STEM and can commit to a consistent volunteering role for at least 1 year. Some committees that form the backbone of SCWIST include:
- Events - Coordinating event logistics, finding appropriate venues, organizing catering and hospitality
- Communications - Advertising upcoming events, past events and successes, awards, future goals, collaborations
- Leadership & IWIS - Promoting professional development, planning and operating exhibitor booths at IWIS events
- Volunteers - Managing the volunteer portfolio, seeking and recruiting new volunteers, monitoring volunteer activity
- Youth Engagement - Coordinating and delivering workshops and events for girls interested in STEM fields
- Grants - Writing grant applications to sustain funding of programs for women in STEM
- Strategic Development - Supporting growth through seeking sponsorships and collaborations with industry