Elementary School Aged Science and Engineering Classroom Workshop Presenter
Number of Openings
Ongoing need for this position
Join us in helping children reach their full potential!
Scientists in School is working to pique scientific interest, confidence and engagement throughout children’s formative years engaging them as ‘scientists’ in rich, fun and investigative workshops delivered in elementary classrooms. We are hiring enthusiastic role models to lead our on- site workshops, who are truly looking to make a lasting impact. These role models should not only have a background in science, engineering, and technology but also be representative of the diversity of the youth we are engaging. Individuals with a Bachelor of Education or ECE degree may also be considered for some topics for the younger learners.
Part-time position with considerable flexibility in setting your own schedule;
A volunteer component is required for workshop preparation as well as a paid component of $85 per workshop presentation.
· Delivers high calibre, hands-on Scientists in School workshops reflective of Scientists in School’s mission and vision;
· Serves as a role model for eager Kindergarten to Grade 8 scientists, striving to create a highly inclusive, energizing, and safe space for all of the young scientists and their teachers;
· Participates in our initial training program, presenter team meetings as well as ongoing development opportunities. We set you up for success with mentorship and workshop topic kits;
· Communicates with teachers or community partners on a timely basis to schedule and confirm assigned workshops. Updates Scientists in School’s workshop database as required;
· Travels to schools within a geographic region mutually agreed upon;
· Maintains workshop topic kit and its materials in a safe and professional condition;
· Adheres to safety guidelines as outlined in the Scientists in School’s Safety Manual;
· Interacts in a positive and professional manner with school personal, or representatives from the hosting community group (e.g. libraries).
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Science degree preferred; BEd or ECE degree (for some topics).
· Knowledge and experience in the field of science and/or engineering.
· Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Dynamic presentation style suitable for young people aged 4-13. Ability to express ideas clearly to children and adults.
· Excellent customer service skills; must be flexible, diplomatic and customer centric.
· Able to move materials bins or equipment in the workshop topic kit, weighing as much as 22kg.
· Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
· Sufficient space to store workshop topic kit(s) in home and transport in vehicle.
· Valid drivers license and use of vehicle imperative.
· Use of personal laptop and proficiency using webmail, internet applications, and videoconferencing hardware and software.
· Access to high bandwidth internet.
· Bilingualism (French & English) is an asset.
Scientists in School is a charitable organization with an unwavering passion for getting kids excited about STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and environmental stewardship through rich, engaging, investigative workshops delivered primarily in classrooms and sometimes community settings. The children become scientists in school, under the guidance of visiting workshop presenters. Founded in 1989, Scientists in School recognizes that early positive exposure to science is critical to instilling a life-long interest in science and setting young learners on the path to scientific literacy and a bright future. Pre-pandemic, our annual student reach was 700,000 young scientists participating in 25,000 hands-on workshops with the workshops brought to their classroom by our team of visiting STEM role models. During the pandemic we launched an investigative workshop model where topic curated mini STEM materials bags were shipped ahead for the students to use, guided by our ‘visiting’ scientists in a highly interactive virtual model. We are now relaunching our pre-COVID on-site workshop topics steadily across prior on-site served regions. Concurrently, our virtual workshop model will remain an enduring offering for inclusivity of students anywhere across Canada.
Scientists in School is committed to an inclusive selection process. As an equal opportunity employer, accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodations make their needs known in advance.
Once selected, you will be required to apply for and obtain a satisfactory Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector. As a Scientists in School presenter, you can anticipate making a lasting impact in children’s lives.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
How to Apply
Please forward cover letter and resume to: