CANADA RESEARCH CHAIR POSITION (NSERC, TIER 1)
Strategic Orientation – Climate Action
Institute on Circular and Climate Resilient Built Environment
This call for applications is open to both current ÉTS professors and external candidates.
The École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS Montréal), one of the three largest engineering education and research institutions in Canada, is calling for nominations for a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in the Natural Sciences and Engineering (NSERC) to support the Strategic Orientation-Climate Action of its Strategic Research Plan and to contribute to the Institute’s mission on the circular and climate-resilient built environment.
This strategic Orientation aims to study, model and plan for climate change so that we can mitigate and adapt to it to become resilient. Technology will play a key role in revolutionizing approaches to sustainable industrialization, energy transition and the circular economy.
To this end, ÉTS Montréal wishes to strengthen its Strategic Field – Infrastructure and the Built Environment with the creation of this chair. The research teams working in this strategic area propose solutions to modernize the construction industry and to build infrastructures and built environments that are resilient to climate change and sustainable. This chair will also contribute to the mission of the newly created Institute on Circular and Climate Resilient Built Environment at ÉTS (https://www.etsmtl.ca/en/research/chairs-and-labs/institute-built-environment). Based on a multidisciplinary research team, this institute’s mission is to provide concrete means to facilitate the construction of adapted, resilient and environmentally impact-reducing infrastructures by taking the path of transition towards the circular economy.
More specifically, the chair proposal should address one of the following issues (the term infrastructure includes everything related to the built environment):
– Adaptation of infrastructures to climate change;
– Reducing the environmental footprint and/or improving the circularity of infrastructure.
For more details on the Strategic Field – Infrastructure and the Built Environment of the Strategic Research Plan, please visit the website at https://www.etsmtl.ca/en/docs/ets/about-ets/Publications/Documents/Plan-Strategique-Recherche-2022
This Tier 1 Canada Research Chair, which lasts for seven years and is renewable once, is worth $200,000 per year and contribute to the full funding of the Chairholder’s research.
In addition, the opportunity is offered to submit, simultaneously, an infrastructure application to the John R. Evans Leaders Fund program of the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), co-funded by the Government of Quebec, for a maximum value of $250,000 from each organization.
As part of the Université du Québec network, ÉTS Montréal is a dynamic, fast-growing engineering school whose orientation is “engineering for industry”. Its campus, located in the Quartier de l’Innovation (Innovation district), offers a stimulating multicultural environment and privileged access to several industrial and university partners.
ÉTS Montréal comprises five departments (Construction; Electrical; Mechanical; Systems; and Software and information technology), with more than 220 faculty members and over 12,800 students. The institution hosts more than 35 chairholders and approximately 35 research clusters.
The institution’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
In accordance with its own recruitment policies, as well as the ” Equal Access Employment Program “, ÉTS Montréal promotes excellence in research and research training, guarantees equal opportunities for all candidates and supports the principle that excellence and equity are both compatible and complementary.
ÉTS Montréal is actively implementing its Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, which aims to increase the representation of women and gender minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and racialized individuals among Canada Research Chairholders.
Canada Research Chairs Program Requirements
The Canada Research Chairs Program was established by the Government of Canada to attract and retain, among others, some of the world’s most accomplished and promising researchers.
For Tier 1 Canada Research Chairs, candidates are outstanding researchers who are recognized by their peers as world leaders in their field. They must propose a promising and innovative program of research while demonstrating an interest and competence in teaching and supervising graduate students.
Outstanding researchers from around the world are encouraged to apply for this prestigious Canada Research Chair. The Chairholder will have a reduced teaching load.
To meet the program’s selection criteria, the candidate must:
– Be an outstanding and innovative world-class researcher whose achievements have had a significant impact on his or her field;
– Be an internationally recognized leader in their field;
– Be highly successful in recruiting and supervising graduate students and postdoctoral researchers, taking into account the different practices in the field or discipline, and, once a chair, be able to recruit, train and retain excellent trainees, students and future researchers;
– Propose an original, innovative research program of the highest quality.
Eligibility of candidates according to ÉTS requirements
– Have a doctorate in engineering in a discipline taught or related to those taught at the institution;
– Have the ability to teach in French or demonstrate a willingness to learn the French language and engage in a francization process supported by ÉTS;
– With regard to the pool of potential appointments, the committee will also take into account the contribution of final appointments to the achievement of institutional diversity and equity targets, particularly for designated groups within the meaning of the Equal Access Employment Program (EAEP).
How to apply?
Submitting an application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application before April 30, 2023, at midnight (Québec time).
The application to be submitted in a single pdf document includes:
1)A curriculum vitae with a list of your publications, including justification for career breaks if any;
2)A statement of your five most important research contributions during your career, explaining their importance and impact;
3)A cover letter (maximum 2 pages) presenting your vision for your chair, including
– the summary of the research project (maximum 100 words, written in non-specialised language, describing the originality and importance of the proposed research programme)
– the means used to position the institution as a leader in the field of the chair; and
– the expected and potential benefits in terms of research excellence;
4) A research program proposal (maximum 3 pages) including the following sections
a) the objectives and main achievements to be implemented (100 words maximum)
b) summary programme of activities and contribution to existing knowledge in the field
c) the training of the highly qualified personnel who will be called upon to collaborate
5) If necessary, a justified request for infrastructure (maximum 1 page) to carry out your research. The maximum funding for the CFI and the Quebec government’s John R. Evans Leaders Fund is $250,000 each;
The text must be presented using a font size of at least 12 points. Any additional pages or additional information will be removed prior to review.
We encourage you to answer the questions on the application form, including those related to the Equal Access Employment Program.
Persons with disabilities may be provided with confidential accommodation based on their needs in this competition. If you require accommodation, we invite you to contact Alissa Lauriault (elle/she), Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Advisor in the Office of Academic Affairs, at [email protected]
The candidate selected by the institution will be invited to apply on October 17, 2023 or by April 16, 2024. If you any question regarding your application or the selection process, you can send it to: [email protected]
Working conditions are governed by the current Professors’ Association collective agreement.
Regular full-time position.
Expected start date: to be determined.
All qualified candidates are invited to apply for these positions. However, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents in accordance with Canada’s immigration requirements.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 30/04/2023