Technology Support Specialist
Number of Openings
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Please note this is a temporary full time contract ending October 31, 2023.
Secondments are Welcome
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western Libraries (WL) provides the library and archival expertise and infrastructure –information resources, technology, people, and spaces – required to cultivate and mobilize knowledge, and accelerate excellence in teaching, research and scholarship.
The Technology Support Specialist provides first level technical support and troubleshooting for all current services and applications, including computer, networking and software applications for all workstations within all locations at Western Libraries. The Western Libraries environment consists of both staff and public workstations, both desktops and mobile devices. The role will use software tools to create and support that structure and will provide access and support for the suite of applications and services provided by the
workstation environment. The Technology Support Specialist is responsible for the physical deployment and functionality of the workstations and devices, and provides first level technical support for the leaders, staff and patrons who use these workstations and devices, and ensures that any technical questions are resolved in a timely fashion, either directly or by escalating the issue based on the severity and/or complexity. The Technology Support Specialist also provides the support and maintenance of the network of workstations,
public and staff printers, multimedia equipment, and in the configuration and installation of software needed by users, ensuring appropriate security, backup and recovery procedures are implemented and procedures and documented.
– College diploma in Electronics Technician, Computer Programming, Computer Systems, Information
Management, Information Technology or a Related field
– Undergraduate degree in Computer Sciences or related field is preferred
– A+, Lenovo, HP and/or Dell IT certifications would be an asset
– 2 years’ experience providing customer technical support including supporting a variety of operating system
software, hardware, application software, and networking experience using workstations, laptops, mobile devices, and servers
– Experience providing hardware and software support and service in an academic IT environment is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Familiarity with system administration, including computer networks, operating systems, and applications software
– Familiarity with project management tools and resources
– Communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users and to write clearly, and adapt style and content for intended audiences in a professional manner
– Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
– Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
– Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service to directly and indirectly satisfy expectations
– Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
– Ability to work independently and maintain direction and focus through proactive planning and organized approaches to work
– Excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
– Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
– Multi-tasking skills to prioritize and consistently produce high-quality work within deadlines
– Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful, and diplomatic manner
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 19/10/2022
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #28259 by 11:59PM on October 19, 2022.