Senior Computational Biologist
Number of Openings
Sequence Bio is a passionate Newfoundland and Labrador company striving to change the future of healthcare right here at home. But, we need your help!
We are looking for dynamic, team oriented individuals who are driven to solve complex problems by utilizing their strong communication skills and a technical background to create successful collaborations and interactions with data scientists and geneticists, to join our Data Science and Analytics team. Are you passionate about adding value to a fast-paced, growing company committed to benefiting the lives of individuals, families, and communities in Newfoundland and Labrador for generations to come? Apply today!
– PhD or MSc in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, or related field.
Minimum 3-5 years of industry, or equivalent academic, experience.
– Detail oriented with an ability to develop solutions for complex problems.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills.
– Team player who thrives off collaborating and learning from those around them.
– Proven ability to create innovative data visualizations and communicate complex results to interdisciplinary audiences.
– Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with an interdisciplinary team.
– Demonstrated knowledge of the following, considered an asset:
– Analysis of genetic causes of disease
– Multi-omics and big data analysis
– Machine learning
– Technical experience working with some, or all, of the following, considered an asset:
– Omic packages such as PLINK, STRUCTURE, KING, PRIMUS, Admixture, Eigensoft, BWA, GATK and SAMtools.
– Proficient in at least one programming language (R, Python)
– Bioconductor, Biopython, NumPy, SciPy, pandas, Jupyter
– Visualization tools such as Tableau, Quicksight
– Databases and libraries such as PostgreSQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, Spark
– Cloud high-performance compute with Databricks/AWS
– Machine Learning such as MLlib, Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Keras, TensorFlow, SageMaker
Overview of the Role
We are growing our Data Science and Analytics team to enable our search for novel drug targets. This team is responsible for analyzing all aspects of the data generated from the Newfoundland and Labrador Genome Project (NLGP). The Data Science and Analytics team’s work is focused on the analysis of data from whole genome genotyping, NGS whole genome sequencing, RNASeq and other omic’s technologies that will be used to help identify the population structure of our cohort – enabling Sequence Bio to search for novel drug targets to accelerate the development of better, safer medicines and disease treatments.
Reporting to the VP Research, Data Science & Analytics, the Sr. Computational Biologist will be responsible for supporting Sequence Bio’s cutting edge data analytics research and utilizing big data technologies by leading, implementing, and creating novel solutions to influence decisions at various levels in the organization. They will support the development of Sequence Bio’s Research and Analysis platform, a set of innovative technologies and algorithms built to exploit Big Data tools and architecture and will work closely with Sequence Bio’s technology team to develop a world class secure IT infrastructure.
– Reports to the VP Research, Data Science & Analytics.
– Ensure team data analysis complies with company and international analysis and quality standards.
– Develop novel NGS analysis methods and contribute to existing pipelines; analyze public and in-house NGS datasets.
– Take on a leadership role as part of the Data Science and Analytics Team.
– Support, define and drive the company’s scientific strategy from a data and analytics perspective.
– Develop, implement and manage machine learning/AI based initiatives and advanced analysis pipelines across multiple platforms and therapeutic areas.
– Apply cutting-edge data analysis techniques to an emerging field with exciting and impactful applications in drug target discovery and development.
– Develop, test and improve new genomic analysis techniques.
– Ensure computational work is documented and reproducible.
– Work collaboratively with Sequence Bio’s research scientists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, software engineers, systems analysts and clinical team members to facilitate and provide an integrated framework for Sequence Bio’s data analysis.
– Other duties as required by your team lead(s) or the executive team.
– Willing to take initiative and create and take on new responsibilities as our company continues to grow.
Working at Sequence Bio
At Sequence Bio, we do things a bit differently. And that makes sense, because when you’re trying to transform drug discovery, you can’t do the same old things again and again. The same goes for how we work. Our culture is evolving and progressive, and the procedures, policies and processes we follow encourage success, foster creativity, and embrace innovation. An appreciation for the latest technology tools, and a commitment to flexible working hours during peak project deployment, is required.
Ethics, privacy and security excellence is rooted in everything we do at Sequence Bio. We promise to be transparent about our information policies and practices, and to return benefits to Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees must uphold the company’s commitment in all they do.
Sequence Bio is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We recognize the importance and value of a diverse workforce and we are committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all employees. If you require any accommodation to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please reach out to [email protected] and we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 03/09/2021
Please apply through the following link: https://sequencebio.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=35