Radiochemistry Technician – Therapeutic Isotopes
Number of Openings
TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre, and one of the world’s leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
The Radiochemistry Technician – Therapeutic Isotopes will provide advanced technical support to the therapeutic isotope production and purification program within TRIUMF’s Life Sciences Division. This program intended to deliver a stable supply of therapeutic isotopes for TRIUMF users, partners and customers. This role will focus on the development and implementation of routine processing and purification for therapeutic isotopes, particularly Actinium-225 produced from the irradiation of Thorium-232 at TRIUMF. The position will include troubleshooting, quality control and record keeping. The Radiochemistry Technician will also assist with customer interactions with external partners involving therapeutic isotope production and labelling chemistry.
• Preparing thorium metal and other solid targets under supervision of a qualified engineer or scientist and obtaining all required safety approvals
• Coordinating irradiation schedules depending on production needs
• Implementing and routinely performing procedures for target dissolution and isotope purification
• Developing and performing quality control tests for purified radiometals
• Establishing and maintaining documentation for processes and tests
• Maintaining materials and supplies required for the therapeutic isotope program
• Helping to maintain good laboratory practises
• Monitoring and improving technical performance of the therapeutic isotope program
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Strong general chemistry skills
• Strong analytical chemistry skills
• A demonstrated ability to perform detailed technical tasks
• Advanced knowledge of general chemistry and its related technical approaches and concepts
• General knowledge and skill in radiochemistry, with more advanced knowledge being an asset
• Meticulous laboratory skills and a high attention to detail
• Organizational skills, oral and written communication skills
• Experience with ICP-MS would be an asset
NUCLEAR ENERGY WORKER:
The position requires the incumbent to be trained and designated as a TRIUMF NEW.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
• Technical diploma or bachelor’s degree in chemistry, and at least 4 to 7 years of related experience
• A minimum of 2 years of radiochemistry specific experience, ideally with radiometals
• Experience in the operation and maintenance of automated synthesis units is an asset
• Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
As a requirement of this position, the successful candidate will need to provide acceptable proof that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or demonstrate that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the BC Human Rights Code. TRIUMF will grant reasonable accommodation requests up to the point of undue hardship.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity
Application closing date: July 17, 2022
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 17/07/2022