Professor of Mechanical Engineering
École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS) is one of the largest engineering schools in Canada, with a student body numbering over 11,000, including 2,600 students at the graduate and postgraduate levels. It offers Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate programs designed with an applied engineering focus. It cultivates close ties with industry through a dynamic co-operative education program, and boasts an outstanding degree of partnership-based research and innovation.
ÉTS has experienced spectacular growth in its educational programs and in its research and innovation activities over the last few years, allowing it to acquire world-class infrastructure. The high calibre of research conducted by the institution gives it a ranking among the top engineering educational institutions in Canada.
Located in downtown Montreal, within walking distance of the public transit, ÉTS offers, in addition to a competitive salary and a generous pension fund, several advantages:
• Group Insurance;
• Up to 23 days vacation per year;
• Privileged access to its sports centre located on campus;
• Transit Incentive Program;
• Parking for car and bike at a competitive price;
• Day care centre on site, and many other benefits.
Description of Position
The Mechanical Engineering Department at ÉTS (Montreal, Canada) is looking for professors primarily in mechanical engineering, but also in materials engineering, industrial engineering or chemical engineering. Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to excellence in research and in teaching undergraduate and graduate Mechanical Engineering programs. Candidates’ research and teaching activities will be added to existing projects in fields of interest related to materials and manufacturing, healthcare technologies, energy and fluid mechanics and industrial engineering.
Sought areas of expertise:
Manufacturing and materials
The ideal candidate must possess general knowledge in the field of materials and manufacturing processes, thermodynamics, kinetics and process modelling. Areas of expertise required for this field of research include recycling and welding.
Energy and fluid mechanics
Areas of expertise required for this field of research include experimental fluid mechanics through optical diagnosis.
The ideal candidate must possess general knowledge in a number of areas related to industrial engineering. Areas of expertise required for this field of research include industrial processes and procedures, occupational health and safety, human factors engineering and ergonomics.
Areas of expertise sought for this field of research include smart hydrogels and polymers, 3D bio-printing, characterization and modeling of viscoelastic materials/biological tissues, mechanobiology and biofluids.
The candidates sought will:
- teach courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in fields related to mechanical engineering;
- mentor graduate students;
- carry out grant research projects or contractual research projects, jointly with industry and in work places;
- develop a research program;
- publish scientific articles;
- complete grant applications, particularly those directed at NSERC and FQRNT.
- Must hold a Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering or a related engineering field ;
- Must be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ), or take the necessary steps to become one before applying for tenure;
- Must have industry experience or experience conducting research in close collaboration with industry. If the candidate does not have related industry experience, then such experience may be substituted by solid R&D experience, or the candidate must agree to acquire such experience through an industrial practicum;
- Must demonstrate excellent research and teaching skills. Professional experience or solid R&D experience would be an asset;
- Must be proficient in written and spoken French in accordance with the ÉTS Language Policy, or demonstrate a willingness to learn French and embark on a francization process supported by ÉTS.
Winter or summer 2021
Submission of Applications
All applications shall be treated confidentially. Interested candidates must submit their application by December 13, 2020 (5 p.m. EST).
The application shall include all these documents named as noted below:
- a cover letter;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a statement of teaching goals;
- a statement of their research plan;
- a sample of research accomplishments (e.g., recent scientific articles)
Please note that only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Salary and Terms
This is a tenure-track position. Salary and benefits will be determined in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Nevertheless, priority shall be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. It is important to mention in your application whether you are able to work in Canada in order for us to plan any necessary immigration process.
Equal Employment Opportunity Program
ÉTS has adopted and follows an equal employment opportunity program, and invite members of underrepresented groups, such as women, Aboriginal persons, visible and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities to identify themselves when they apply for a position.
Link to apply: