Professor of Construction Engineering
With a student population totalling 11,000, including 2,600 graduate and post-graduate students, École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS) in Montréal is among the largest engineering schools in Canada, offering Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programs that focus on applied engineering. ÉTS maintains strong ties with industry thanks to a dynamic cooperative education system, boasts an exceptional level of partnership-based research and innovation and features world-class research equipment and facilities.
ÉTS values diversity among those who join its team, and has adopted an equal access to employment program. ÉTS invites members of under-represented groups (i.e.: women, indigenous people, members of visible and ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities) to identify as such when submitting an application. Individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities are also invited to apply.
ÉTS also adheres to Engineers Canada’s 30 by 30 initiative, aimed at attaining the objective of 30% female engineers by 2030, and was honoured with the Prix Thérèse Casgrain (Thérèse Casgrain Award) in 2019 for its efforts related to the inclusion of women in engineering, as well as the Parity certification of the organization La Gouvernance au féminin recognizing its commitment to the advancement of parity in the workplace.
The Construction Engineering Department at ÉTS is seeking professors with basic training in engineering related to one of the fields listed below. The research and teaching activities of selected candidates will be added to existing activities within the Construction Engineering Department.
Based on their areas of expertise and their research interests, retained candidates will have an opportunity to join the newly formed institut sur l’environnement bâti résilient aux changements climatiques et circulaires (Institute for a built environment that is resilient to climate change and the circular economy ). The mission of the Institute is to develop and implement innovative and practical technological solutions related to the design, construction and operation of infrastructure assets adapted to climate change and the circular economy . Based on their application, incumbents may also have an opportunity to submit their candidacy for a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair dedicated to research into the resilience of infrastructure assets to climate change.
Description of the position
Areas of expertise
Applications related to the following fields are being sought:
• Road construction/Urban engineering
• Sustainable construction
• Construction law
• Environmental engineering
• Building engineering
• Municipal engineering
• Applied geophysics
• Construction project management
• Urban hydraulics
• Industrialization of construction
• Artificial intelligence applied to construction engineering
Working as part of a dynamic research team, the incumbent will assume the following responsibilities :
• Teach courses at all three levels in in one or more of the fields listed above;
• Supervise graduate and post-graduate students;
• Submit applications for financing and grants, primarily from Québec, Canadian or international government bodies, industrial organizations, municipalities and foundations;
• Conduct subsidized or contract-based research projects in partnership with industry and workplaces;
• Develop research programs;
• Publish scientific articles.
• Hold a Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Engineering in a field related to the areas of expertise;
• Be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) or be eligible to join the OIQ and undertake the necessary steps to become a member before submitting an application for full professorship;
• Have experience in conducting research in collaboration with industry or experience in industrial R&D;
• Demonstrate excellent skills related to training highly-qualified personnel through research projects and teaching;
• Be proficient in French (oral and written), in compliance with the ÉTS Language Policy (in French), or demonstrate a willingness to learn French and enter into French training program with the support of ÉTS. Preselection tests may be required.
Spring 2023 or as soon as possible.
Submitting an application
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality.
We will take into account any leaves that may result in career interruptions or delays. Therefore, we encourage you to mention any such leave that may have affected your professional path. We will take this information into consideration when evaluating your application.
In case of a disability, we may offer accommodation measures during the hiring process.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application before 5:00 p.m. (EST) on January 15, 2023.
The application must include the following elements in a single PDF document, in the following order:
• An automatic (dynamic) Table of Contents;
• A cover letter;
• Your curriculum vitae;
• A statement of your teaching objectives;
• Your research plan, indicating how your work complements the areas of research targeted by a department or research group at ÉTS;
• A sample of your research achievements (e.g.: recent scientific articles, conference proceedings, theses, dissertations, etc.).
If you require more information, please contact [email protected] Only those candidates who are retained for an interview will be contacted.
This is a tenure-track position. The process and benefits will be determined in accordance with the applicable collective agreement.
Located in the heart of Metropolitan Montréal and close to central neighbourhoods and public transit, ÉTS offers a number of benefits in addition to competitive compensation and a generous pension fund:
• Group insurance
• Priority access to the ÉTS Sports Centre, located on campus
• Public transit incentive program
• Vehicle and bicycle parking at competitive rates
• On-site child care centre and day camp
• Many other benefits
In view of the many sustainable development initiatives launched in recent years, ÉTS was awarded STARS Gold certification in 2022
In compliance with the immigration requirements in effect in Canada, ÉTS invites all qualified individuals to apply. However, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. When submitting an application, it is important to indicate whether you are able to work in Canada, so that the applicable immigration procedures can be planned accordingly.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 15/01/2023