Postdoctoral Researcher – TUCAN EDM
TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre, and one of the world’s leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
The TRIUMF Ultra-Cold Advanced Neutron (TUCAN) collaboration is currently accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher at TRIUMF. The successful candidate will focus on and contribute in a significant manner to magnetic fields sensing, shielding, and control for the TUCAN Electric Dipole Moment (EDM) experiment including an opportunity to assist in the commissioning of the UCN source upgrade and neutron handling system. Your other responsibilities/duties include, but are not limited to:
• Participating in, and analyzing data for commissioning measurements using the magnetically shielded room and the UCN source
• Participating in other group efforts towards developing the EDM experiment
• Disseminating results as articles in scientific journals and at national and international conferences and workshops
• Contributing to the supervision of undergraduate and/or graduate students
The position might require the incumbent to be trained and designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW). This is optional and will be evaluated based on the evolution of the project.
As our ideal candidate, you have strong communication skills, high attention to detail, as well as creativity and flexibility to address challenging problems. Your other qualifications include:
• Knowledge of UCN and/or EDM related physics research, and several years of graduate level hardware experience in one or more of the following areas: detector, beam line, cold/ultracold neutrons, magnetic fields and magnetometry, and data acquisition development
• A recent Ph.D. in nuclear, particle, atomic, or accelerator physics. Individuals who are expecting to complete a PhD within three (3) months are also encouraged to apply
This grant funded position will be based at TRIUMF and the term of employment will be based on an initial commitment to a one year term, with a start date as early as June 2021. This may be renewed annually for a second and third term, based on mutual satisfaction and continued grant funding. Salary will be competitive depending on experience.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 15/06/2021
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your application package must be submitted by email to [email protected]
To be accepted for consideration applications must be complete, and must include the following in one PDF file:
• Subject line: Competition 837
• Employment Application Form
• Cover letter
• Brief statement of research interests
• Detailed CV with a list of publications
Please arrange for at least 3 letters of recommendation or reference to be sent directly to [email protected] including Competition 837 in the subject line.
Application closing date: June 15, 2021
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.