Instructor of Professional Practice
Number of Openings
Instructor of Professional Practice
Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University
The Faculty of Computer Science is seeking candidates for a 3-year limited term Instructor of Professional Practice, to begin on or around July 1, 2023 (negotiable). We seek candidates who can reflect industry and professional best-practice back into our courses and curriculum and who can share their knowledge and professional experience with the students. These factors then shape and direct our future technology graduates.
The position will primarily involve (i) teaching of existing courses to support the development of high quality software development and information technology (IT) professionals, (ii) designing and refurbishing graduate and undergraduate level courses to incorporate current IT platforms and software development practices, (iii) instilling professional practice and skills in students through advising, teaching, and other activities that prepare graduates for successful entry to the work force; and (iv) participating in other Faculty administration that promotes faculty and student success such as curriculum review and committee participation. The courses assigned to the successful candidate will be negotiated with the candidate based on the candidate’s expertise and the needs of the university programs.
While we consider IT to include software developers, we also solicit applicants with professional industry experience, such as, but not limited to, data analysts/scientists, cloud/database administrators, security analysts, and directly technical roles that support business, government, or NGO IT needs.
The successful candidate for this position must meet the following requirements:
– Either the candidate has a master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science (or related field), with at least 5 years of relevant IT industry work experience in a senior role or the candidate has a Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or related field), combined with at least 10 years of industry experience, of which at least 5 is in a senior role, including a track record of significant accomplishments in professional IT practice;
– Teaching experience at the university or college level is preferred, but delivery of industrial or similar training programs, as well as other forms of recognized educational practice (e.g., seminars, K-12 teaching, online course development) will be considered for applicants with strong and diverse IT portfolios.
Additional desirable qualifications are as follows:
– Demonstrated professional experience in software development or related IT roles across a range of industries or positions,
– Demonstrated leadership in professional organizations, corporate positions, or other related venues,
– Demonstrated program or team management in professional or academic organizations,
– Recent experience in modern software development practices, data analytics, system maintenance or deployment, system analysis for security, accessibility, usability, or other purposes, system administration of enterprise or equivalently complex systems, software quality assurance (QA), or other equivalent experience in an IT environment,
– Experience with current trends in industry practices, platforms, and tools as substantiated by industry experience, professional certifications (eg. cloud certifications like AWS or database certifications like Oracle or DB2), or applied research, and
– Recent experience in the software development or related IT industries, particularly across a range of software projects and modern software tools/platforms.
Although the instructor is not expected to conduct research, the successful candidate will have one or more well-defined area(s) of interest in CS in which they will remain current and be able to teach senior-level and graduate courses.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 15/02/2023
Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply for this position with a package including a (i) C.V. or resume; (ii) cover letter; (iii) the addresses and emails of three references; and (iv) a teaching dossier or project port-folio, if applicable. Application review will begin February 1, 2023. Candidates should be prepared to have their referees forward their letters of reference upon request. Consideration of complete applications will continue until a suitable candidate is identified.
To apply please visit: https://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/12339.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons (especially Mi’kmaq), persons with a disability, racialized persons, including persons of Black/African descent (especially African Nova Scotians), women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.