Sokanu is an advanced technology company operating at scale and motivated by social purpose. Our online career discovery and advancement tools put cutting-edge technologies and data science to work to help people navigate the rapidly changing world of work. Our CareerExplorer platform blends psychometrics and machine learning to help millions of people learn how their personal traits, talents, interests, and values align with thousands of different career roles and degree programs. We served over 10 million users last year and expect another 50% in growth this year.
We recognize the deep-rooted issues of homogeneity in the tech industry and highly encourage people of all backgrounds and life experiences to apply. We’re striving to build a product that’s accessible and useful for everyone, and firmly believe that diversity within our team is important in that pursuit. If you think that you could be a great fit and can contribute to our mission, then we’d love to hear from you!
Engineering at Sokanu
We’re a small team with a modern and well-maintained tech stack looking to grow as we enter a new stage for the company. We’d prefer hiring on-site in Vancouver, BC (remote during the pandemic) but are open to remote hires for the right fits in reasonable timezones. See our core values to learn more about what it means to be an engineer at Sokanu.
Sokanu is looking to hire our first dedicated data engineer. While we already have a relatively robust and modern data science setup, we’re looking to expand our tools and skillset as we enter a new stage of the company. You’ll work closely with our data science and infrastructure teams to develop and maintain new data pipelines, guide and define our data stack, and help us integrate with external data sources and teams. This role will require a lot of autonomy and is best suited for someone who’s capable of helping guide and mentor our team as we develop better data engineering tools and practices.
- Develop, maintain, and monitor reliable data pipelines to transform and move data.
- Collaborate with teams across the company to discuss and identify how existing or new infrastructure could be leveraged to solve business problems and complete projects.
- Support teammates’ use of data infrastructure, for example by creating and maintaining up-to-date documentation.
- Support the monitoring of data integrity throughout data pipelines.
- Prior industry experience in a data engineering role.
- Strong knowledge of databases and SQL, with knowledge of Postgres being particularly beneficial.
- Experience working with data processing using technologies like Spark or Hadoop.
- Proficiency in Python, with experience using Pyspark being an added bonus.
Nice to Haves
- Experience working with data streaming technologies we’ve been exploring, such as Kafka and Spark Streaming.
- Experience working on or developing a data warehouse or data lake, using technologies like Google Snowflake, Databricks/Delta Lake, or AWS DMS & Glue.
- Experience mentoring and teaching others who want to use, or learn more about, existing and potential data infrastructure.
- Experience with AWS
- Experience working with data pipelines that cross cloud-provider boundaries.
- Experience with Docker and infrastructure-as-code (we use Terraform)
- Experience supporting the creation of dashboards and reports to support business informatics and analysis, for example using technologies like Power BI or Tableau.
Relevant Tools at Sokanu
- Python, Typescript, Django, Postgres, AWS, Terraform, Docker, Jupyter
Please send your application to [email protected]