SCWIST is seeking to fill 2-3 positions for two-year terms beginning asap.
Serving on the SCWIST Board of Directors is an exciting opportunity to gain leadership experience, express your voice as a woman in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), and support SCWIST’s vision to create an environment where women and girls in Canada can pursue their interest, education, and careers in STEM without barriers.
The Board is composed of 10 volunteer Directors. Directors are voted in at the AGM which will be held this coming June. Please note that all candidates must be SCWIST members in good standing (more than 30 days at the time of the AGM) and should be able to attend the majority of the monthly Board meetings. Board meetings are usually held at SCWIST’s office in downtown Vancouver, however, we welcome candidates from outside Metro Vancouver who can join meetings virtually. Directors are also expected to attend SCWIST activities and events.
We are seeking candidates with specific skill sets related to effective administration, organization, communications, volunteer management, fundraising, grant & donor management, partnerships and events.
- Time commitment: minimum 20 hours per month (but likely 25-40 given workload)
- Ability to attend monthly board meetings (2-3 hours long)
- Member of SCWIST
- Ability to serve a minimum two-year term
- Previous experience leading and managing volunteer teams, communications, fundraising and event management will be assets.
- Contribute to the strategic vision of the organization to assure its longevity
- See the big picture and be responsible for the ownership and legitimacy of the organization within the community.
- Monitor and be accountable to the membership and the community the organization serves for the effective delivery of the organization’s goals and objectives
- Attend Board meetings, events, training sessions, and conferences on behalf of SCWIST as required
- Monitor and take responsibility for any budgets assigned to your Board position, ensuring record-keeping is both accurate and accessible
- Reply to emails in a prompt and professional manner
- Keep a record of all hours and in-kind expenses spent on SCWIST, reporting these to the board on a monthly basis or as requested
- Report to the membership at the AGM and any other formal SCWIST events as necessary
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the programs you have responsibility for based on membership satisfaction, value for money or any other relevant metric
- Fulfil any other duties the Board or Executive Officers Committee determines to be within the scope, spirit and purpose of the role as appropriate at the time
Director Code of Conduct:
- Act with honesty and integrity at all times
- Demonstrate high standards of personal conduct
- Value and respect fellow board members, contractors and members of the society
- Work with the board to develop and encourage an environment that is supportive and empowering to all members.
Please fill out the following form to be considered as an applicant.